Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sandblast 09 - The Year of the Globetrotter

First off, sorry for the lack of posing. I ended up not going to Hoosier Hoedown. With Sandblast and Wildwood coming up I wanted to give my knee a weekend off.

This is my third year doing Sandblast and the third year I've come off the field after one point thinking..."shit, did the sand hurt my toes this much last year?!" Yeah, my toes hurt.

This year my team went as the Montrose Globetrotters. Breakmark hooked us up with some sweet jerseys and we wore the red and white striped shorts we "borrowed" from ISU. We looked pretty amazing. Despite our sweet unis, Satuday didn't go terribly well for us. Two of the teams we played ened up in the championship. The first game Brooke Etnyre and her band of Sandy V's beat us, followed by a defeat handed to us by Sun's out gun's out, then some team, and finally a team from California that ended up winning the whole thing.
Highlights:
-Eric Huber Somehow managed to keep his afro wig on all day while playing...I never saw it come off. Scratch that...Jess Kadjo put it on...and she looked almost as good it in. A quote from Pete "Eric has way too many things he can throw off his head on right now" haha. Gnomes know.
-Hey, we weren't getting as many points as we would have liked, but we didn't have some pretty stellar defense.
-After our games were done I wandered over the the spirit division and found the Wedding Party team. They gave me a drink from their open bar. Right after that Jessica's team, Mile High Club, gave me an awesome apple pie shot. It was so great. I got whipped cream all over my face. ha.
-I had my hair in some straight up corn rows all day. I received many compliments and a lot of people didn't recognize me. Props to Amanda Gregorich for hooking me up. I loved them. No hair in my face! Luckily Amanda wants to do them again...but in crazy designs. Get ready, this won't be the last tournament I wear them to.
-Doug being tall. Glad to have you back!

After a rough day of ultimate we headed to Uncle Fatty's for a rough night of drinking, and by rough I mean KUHE)*(UYI#(*HFJE AWESOME. Free drinks from 7-11...HOLLERRRR. I definitely got my dance on and had a great time. This was my first bar-hosted ultimate party I've been to and holy shiiiit it was amazing. I'm not really sure how Jessica, Lauren and I managed to navigate back to the hotel (which was the Hilton Palmer House...um glorious). By that point I had convinced myself that my phone was broken and proceeded to beat it up on the el. Yeah...the battery had run out. When we got back I had difficulties finding the light switch and just kept turning all the lights in our room on and off. I hopped into bed...but didn't stay there very long. Apparently I ended up on the floor and Pete stepped on my face. Thanks a lot, Pete. I also terrorized Doug late into the night. Sorry, man.

Sunday I woke up, felt pretty good, and proceeded to play horrendously in our first game. OH GOD, I was a very pathetic excuse for an ultimate player. Defense didn't happen...throws were terrible...yikes yikes yikes. Fortunately I sobered up for the next game and managed to start playing the way I should have been playing. k. good. We beat the first team, Just the Tip from NY. Their team featured a special appearance from Nick, the Normal/New Zealand dude who's been playing with Status Quo. He was also apparently a champion at the party, nice work Nick! We also won our second game against Loyola folk. sweet....then we rested for 2 hours, ate burritos, played in and out box (RYAN STILL OWES ME ZEBRA STRIPES), took naps, explored, and by the time we came back for our 3rd game we were hella tired. We lost and ended up taking 18th place. woooo way to break seed (20th).

All in all...I give the weekend an A+. Hooray Globetrotters!

And next weekend...WILDWOOD.

1 comment: