Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Stats and Gnomette Love

Hey all,

In the past the Lady Gnomes have never kept stats, but that's allllll about to change. [Truth: most of these were stolen from another ultimate blog. I reeeally want to give this guy credit, but I can't find it! Sorry for being a thief!] I've set up a stats spreadsheet for this year. The spreadsheet will cover the Following:

OFFENSE

Goals
Obv. Funny story though...after creating the spreadsheet I realized that the only stats I left out were goals and assists. Go figure.

Assists
Also pretty obv...this is goes to whoever threw for the score.

Throws to Advantage
This will measure break throws or hucks - basically fancy throws that give us a big advantage

Throwaways
Crappy throws. Hucks that go out of bounds, turfed throws, those extra floaty dump throws that wind up getting D'ed, ect.

Unforced Drops
The name pretty much says it.

Forced Drops
Drops that occur not because a defender got a hand on it, but possibly got in the way or caused a "phantom d".

Contested Catches
AKA Sick grabs. Catches in traffic.

DEFENSE

Blocks
Smack dat

Interceptions
Caught D's

Forced Turnovers
Turnovers caused by great positioning. Examples would be if the thrower gets stalled or has to throw it away due to a high stall count.

K That's all I've got for stats. I'm not doing this to determine the weaklings or anything like that. Any good coach/captain knows that a someone's worth on the field can't be determined on paper alone. Since we've got so many girls this year I'm using stats to help me pinoint additional things for us to work on at practice that I might otherwise overlook. After No Wisconsequences I might try switching to throw completion-style stat-keeping, but for fear of overworking the stat-keepers (I'm lookin' at you Michelle, Sam and possibly Brooke), I'll keep it fairly simple for now.

Let me know if you have any other ideas for stat-keeping!

One last order of business:
Practice on Monday, 10/5 was one of the most intense, engery-filled practices I've ever seen the lady gnomes take part in. Everyone worked extremely hard and even stuck around for an extra half hour. You girls make me more and more proud every week and I can't wait put all of our practice into action next weekend. Keep up to good work, Gnomettes!

-Emblebee

P.S. Ok so I lied about that being the last order of business. I'm playing in my first regional this weekend with Prion. WE GET TO PLAY CLX AND I'M STOKED! Keep checking in on score reporter to see how we're doing! I know Pete will!

1 comment:

  1. There is an iPhone app called 'ultistats' that mihgt be helpful. It's cheap, only like 2 bucks I think. Beachfront keeps track of the following, for a reference point:

    -who was in on a given point
    -D's, Turns, Goals, Assists for each person during a game
    -Pulls O/B

    Also, I'd love to help with this if I can ever get out to a tournament you are playing at.

    ReplyDelete